Rover Diva Logo

Rover Diva Logo

Friday, June 18, 2010

New Years in Death Valley by Grace



Over New Years 2010 my family and I went to Death Valley.  
Death Valley got its name when people when through it during the 1849 gold rush.  They were not ready for the massive heat and died.


We met up with 6 other Land Rover Owners and one Volvo thing in Saline Valley for the trip.


 This was our campsite the first night. I was so excited that there was another girl, her name is Rachel.  Rachel was 5 years old.


 
At the first campsite there were hot springs. Ahh!



 
Rachel and I at the Salt Flats.





Rachel and I overlooking the salt flats.  
Lippencott Pass to get here was really rough and bumpy. But this view was worth it.


 The Racetrack!!!  

It is called the racetrack because rocks look like they move/race across the dry lake bed.  What is really happening is when it rains it gets all muddy, and then the wind blows, and the rocks move.  They make ditches by sliding across the mud.  Very interesting!

  
Teakettle Junction
Just one of those weird things that happens in the desert!  But fun to look at. 


Rachel and I playing on my DS in the Dormobile, because there was snow on the ground and it was freezing outside.

 
Ubehebe!!! (yew-beh-HEE-bee)
Ubehebe is a crater in Death Valley it is where one tribe believes humans came out from the earth.  
Ubehebe became my Dad's new favorite word, and he calls himself "Mr. Ubehebe"  We all enjoyed saying it over and over.  Even now we find ourselves saying it and laughing.
Here we split up from the rest of the group.  They headed north and we headed south through the park. 

 
This is my favorite picture from the whole trip!

 
This is where we camped the 3rd night.  It is Mesquite Springs Campground.  
Pretty picture of the Dormobile.


 
Do you ever wonder where 20 Mule Borax is from?  Well I had never heard of it.  But this is where it came from.  Here is a picture of me with one of the wagons that was pulled out by the 20 mule teams.  Funny enough it is actually 18 mules and 2 horses.


 
New Years Eve!!!
On New Years Eve I tried to YoYo in the Dormobile.  I wasn't very good. 



 
I got a Junior Ranger Badge.  I am a Junior Ranger in Death Valley. 


 
Devils Golf Course is a real devil.  I would lose my ball for sure.


Badwater Basin!!!
Badwater Basin is the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere.  
It is 282 feet below sea level, and we didn't even get wet!

Cool Salt Flats
The salt flats were geometric shapes with salt growing on the edge.  

After this we headed home, it took us two days to get back to Tucson.




10 comments:

  1. Very cool. Love the pictures and captions. You're lucky to have such fun parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace... very fun blog and great pictures! Looks like fun was had by al. I am going to share the blog with my niece (she is 10) - hopefully she will comment too. I'm sure we will meet some time on another Rover trip. Until then, have fun!
    Marc and Tash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article Grace! When you write about how it felt to meet Rachel, or write that places were "interesting", views were worth a tough drive, or a picture is your "favorite", it really makes us feel like we were there. That's great writing. I've canceled subscriptions to magazines because people who are getting paid to write articles for them don't write as well as you do. Keep up the good work and tell us about more of your adventures.
    -The Gomes Family, Bailey, CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Grace.
    I think you got to see some of the more interesting and historical parts of death valley on your trip. Next time you should be in charge! Thank you for at least mentioning my volvo "thing" - I know its not a land rover!
    Also, I think only one person from the original death valley '49ers actually died coming through the valley. Hope you can make it on the next trip too.

    Linus
    (volvo thing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace,

    That was a great write up and photos from the Death Valley trip. I took a similar trip in 1997 with my SIII 88" Land Rover and have been meaning to go back ever since.

    Ben Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, Grace, Please keep the stories coming; you have a future ahead of you chronicling your adventures.

    I met your group on the Lippincot Mine Road in Death Valley. You were coming up, I was coming down, and we met at a narrow place on the trail. I still have a small stripe on my truck's sheet metal that shows how narrow it was :-)

    all the best,

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great post Grace. I'm planning a trip to Death Valley and found your post very informative. It's great your parents are taking you out to see the world. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete