Rover Diva Logo

Rover Diva Logo

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grace's Fall Break - Trip to Chaco Canyon - Days 7 - 9


On Friday morning we packed up and left Chaco Canyon.  

Here are Felicty and Gracie dressed for a Land Rover Safari Adventure. 

We headed toward Farmingtion, NM, when my parents realized that Aztec ruins was just another 10 miles up the road.
This is kind of weird. The band of blackish/greenish rocks.  I have never seen this before.  It is especially interesting because they plastered over it.  So, why did they do it?

The people of Aztec had two Great Kivas.  One of the Great Kivas was reconstructed and we were able to go into the kiva.  It might have been what kivas looked like a 1000 years ago.  There are three types of Kivas.  Great Kivas, Keyhole Kivas, and Housed Kivas.  Great Kivas are really big.
  This is an original ladder from Aztec ruins.  I always thought of the Sante Fe ladder, but these were very common in both Aztec and Chaco.  In Chaco there were no ladders left, because they were scavenged for firewood.  Another thing that makes me sad.



After visiting Aztec Ruins we went to Four Corners Monument.  Four Corners is where Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico all meet in one place.

It was really fun.  You can say "I'm in AZ, no wait, NM, no wait, CO, no wait, UT, no wait, I am in them all.


After Four Corners we headed to Canyon de Chelly.  We got there after dark and camped at the campground.



We drove the south rim of Canyon de Chelly the next morning and I heard all about the time my parent's got to camp at the base of Spider Rock.  Maybe someday I will get to do that.


Our next and last stop was Hubble Trading Post.

We were lucky enough to get to go inside the Hubble House.  Here I am in the entrance way.
This is bread oven.  I think they said they baked 250 loaves of bread a week in this oven. 
 Cool Barn!! Sometimes they had up to 10,000 sheep here!  I bet that was stinky!!
Here I am with my 6 Junior Ranger Badges and patches.

The last night we spent at our friend's cabin in Show Low, AZ.  We are so glad we could stay there in comfort and hot showers after 8 long days in the Dormobile.  Thanks Tom and Jane.

I had an awesome time.  On to our next adventure!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's been fun hearing about your trip since we've been to some of those places. I have three boys, plus my niece was with us on that trip, too. We have a picture of the kids at Four Corners, one in each state. After two weeks driving and camping with 7 people in one car and popup camper, we were READY to separate the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had 9 days packed with fun. Canyon de Chelly is one of my favorite places in Arizona. Some day I am hoping to take the unimog tour of it. Good job on the junior ranger badges!

    ReplyDelete